• Show
Rensa alla
nya inlägg
  • Bobtail
    NCS Medlem
    • januari 2012

ID af Geophagus??

Hej
    Can someone please help me with identifikation of which Geophagus species this is? I think they are G. brasiliensis or G. iporangensis - but now in their breeding color, i don't think there is at perfect match to either of these species... my fish does not have that much of black in the first 1 cm of their dorsal fin, and they have at bit of red under their gills. The fish are about 15-18 cm.

Hope somebody can help. (reply in swedish is fine)

Regards Kim
    www.victoriacichlider.dk
  • DaRe
    NCS Medlem
    • september 2009

Definitely from the Brasiliensis complex. Could be any of these in my view:
    Geophagus brasiliensis
    Geophagus iporangensis
    Geophagus itapicuruensis (har ett längre utdraget huvud där munnens form är spetsigare.)
    Geophagus obscurus
    Geophagus sp. "sao paolo"
    Geophagus sp. "rio sao francisco" eller Geophagus sp. "blue flash"
    Geophagus sp. "bahia red"

(Time to add the undescribed ones into our register, I think!!)

I don't have a good description of the differences between them.
    Klart du ska vara medlem! Vi har ett växande medlemsantal och kommande år är jubileumsår, vi firar det väldigt gärna tillsammans med dig!

///David
    Ordförande Nordiska Ciklidsällskapet

Kommentar

• DaRe
      NCS Medlem
      • september 2009

I suppose the undescribed ones lack a description but from a rumor point of view there should be some characters that is assume to differ. Anyone with some info here?
      Klart du ska vara medlem! Vi har ett växande medlemsantal och kommande år är jubileumsår, vi firar det väldigt gärna tillsammans med dig!

///David

Kommentar

• Kawasa
        Användare
        • september 2012

Are these the same Geophagus that were swimming with the Festae?? I told you they were some extraordinary fishes Sorry but I have no idea exact which spices they are but one thing's for sure! They are damn beautiful
        Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Kommentar

• Bobtail
          NCS Medlem
          • januari 2012

#4.. Yes its the same - they are just in breeding color now... You can have the fry, if you come to Denmark.
          www.victoriacichlider.dk

Kommentar

• Kawasa
            Användare
            • september 2012

Ursprungligen postat av Bobtail
            #4.. Yes its the same - they are just in breeding color now... You can have the fry, if you come to Denmark.
            Thats very nice of you to offer Would love to have some of them, only problem is that it takes a few hours drive from Stockholm

Kommentar

• Kawasa
              Användare
              • september 2012

btw I found this video on youtube, I think yours might be the same spices

Kommentar

• Erik Åhlander
                Användare
                • september 2006

Difficult when there is almost no scientific stuff published. My guess is that your fish, with a split lateral spot, is undiscribed, and possibly none of the "species" listed by David, but within that complex. Obviously it appears in the hobby. I can find pictures on internet. It may be a cultivated form, but it looks so distinct that I think it is a wild undescribed species. And, yes, it is beautiful! Also, from your movie it seems slightly less aggressive, compared with the "G. brasiliensis" occuring in the trade in the 1970s - whatever species that was...

EDIT I don't think the fish in Kawasas movie is the same species.
                Senast redigerad av Erik Åhlander; 03 juli 2013, 12:50.

Kommentar

• DaRe
                  NCS Medlem
                  • september 2009

Du är grym Erik. Tack. Så det kan vara en oobeskriven art.

///David

Kommentar

• Bobtail
                    NCS Medlem
                    • januari 2012

Thanks Erik.
                    www.victoriacichlider.dk

Kommentar

Arbetssätt...